Kalaperunat

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Library Rocks!

Lately I have found myself spending loads of time in the SOAS library and sort of grown into it. The timeless atmosphere, quiet rooms and all those shelves full of books are starting to appeal me more and more. Especially now when the end of the term is getting closer and people coming fewer and fewer.

Of course I'm not doing this just for fun but I have a good reason to spend my time in the library. The final exams. I had my first one in African politics last Thursday and the last two are within two days. So instead of studying for just one exam at the time I'm working twice as hard. And the fact I have only three precious weeks left in London is making the studying even harder. Well, now I'm not being totally truthful with you. I have spent some time partying as well. BUT I have always managed to drag myself to the library morning after. How many of you can say that? ;D

Over the weekend we have been studying in this room known as Africa study room. That's situated next to the library's vast collection of books about - surprise, surprise - Africa. The room itself is filled with bookshelves and oh my, those books are something else. Sometimes I find it extremely hard to concentrate on studying while books like Historical Dictionary of Central African Republic, Gazetteers of the Northern Provinces of Nigeria or, wait it, Gallery of Gold Coast Celebrities 1632-1958 are just so fascinating.

I'm actually there right now and like always I should be studying. But after more or less eight hours I feel like I seriously need a break (well, we have been taking some breaks during the day as well - everybody knows that you are NOT allowed to eat in the library and a girl still need to have her daily amount of chocolate). So while I'm waiting Myriam to finish her article, I'm spending my time playing backgammon and writing this post. Nice, eh? After that we'll head back to Paul Robeson to have some Raclette cheese and then carry on studying.

You find this post a bit boring? Well, welcome to my life!!! Two more days to go...

ps. Did you know there's more than one million books in the library of School of Oriental and African Studies? Okey, I think I'm starting to lose it...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there! I thought I saw you yesterday in Kallio, although I knew you'd be back in couple of weeks. The girl looked very much like you. Anyways, even though this is maybe a bit early to say, welcome back! It's summer in Helsinki. We have to start having pancake/strawberry/whatever -parties every week. TsemmpiƤ to exams.

May 30, 2007 7:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home