Kalaperunat

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Gyms and exercise

First some good news: my lectures have finally started! And i'm not that frustrated any more :) Had my first Hausa lesson yesterday and it was fun even though it was at 6pm (what a brutal time to learn new language). The course is called Hausar Baka, Spoken Hausa and it includes lots of audio clips which you can listen at home (or even download to your iPod if you've got one). University of Helsinki has lot to learn from Soas (ok, Soas is getting the stuff from UCLA...).

Today I had my first real lecture, Government and politics in Africa by Professor Stephen Chan. I just love him! He speaks in low pace so even I have enough time to write notes. And the course is so exciting. I'm really looking forward it (though I'm not so keen on those presentations we'll have to give at some point). I'm going to have more lectures tomorrow and on Friday so I'll get back to you with those later.

Ok, now back to whining. Everybody knows London is an expensive city but still I have to complain about the prices of gyms. It seems that regular student price for gym is 25-30£ (that's 37-45 euros). Living here for nine months means that I would be paying around 270£ for just to stay fit! Well, at least that's nothing if you compare to regular Londoner. Yesterday's paper had this piece of news that average Londoner spends 2000£ for health every year. Can you imagine!

So, I think I'm going to continue my walks around the neighbourhood (walk yesterday to St. Paul's Cathedral->Waterloo Bridge->Covent Garden->Russell Sq.) and hopefully find some cheap African dance through Soas Student Union :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home