Kalaperunat

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Home



Lately I've been planning to write about many things such as Flow festival and the people you can talk to but instead I'm going to write a bit about the most important place in the world, home.

I just moved back to my old place which is a room in this beautiful Art Nouveau house in the middle of the city. Now I live right next to the Parliament House and the University is just 15 minutes walk away. I'm so loving it: it feels great to be back in the old neighbourhoods and it's so convenient to have everything close by. Even coming back home from the bar is easy (like we just did: were at the Aussie bar which was great - cheers mates!): you just walk!

I have all the benefits of the 1930s house: high ceiling, huge space and wooden floors. Oh, and did I mentioned, I too have a fire place :) So if you happened to find yourself in Helsinki someday you're more than welcome to crash at my place. There's plenty of room!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Minna,

as the former occupant of your room, I felt like I should say a word or two about your post.
1) They did not build any art nouveau houses in 1930s (at least not in Helsinki) - therefore, I dare to claim that your house is probably from the 1910s.
2) you forgot to mention that you're not allowed to burn anything bigger than candles in your fireplace :)

But yes, I do agree that it was such a nice room!

September 04, 2007 8:43 am  
Blogger Minkki said...

Oh, so true. I must have mixed our house with the one Anne & Mikko are living in Käpylä. I think that is from the 1930s...

September 04, 2007 9:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say Anne&Mikko's house is from the 1920s (and their fireplace from the 70s :). 30s was more about functionalism... I think. You're the one with arts education, so what do I know!?

September 05, 2007 10:31 am  
Blogger Riikka said...

Oh, great, another Minna-Lauri argument :) Although I really enjoy staying in Africa: moments like this, when reading Minna's blog about home, I start to miss it...fireplace! Warm shower! Electricity! Flushing toilet! Wow... :) I wasn't supposed to be getting to the internet even, but here I am, in Chake Chake on Pemba island. Hi there! Study hard...

September 05, 2007 1:39 pm  
Blogger Minkki said...

Hi Riikka! So cool you're enjoying the benefits of the internet connection even in Pemba ;) I think I'm already studying too hard: totally forgot to go to my optician's appointment today. And almost missed a meeting with our professor. Doh!

Well, luckily I've an access to the internet during the working hours (thanks to the new internet system) nowadays so I can do all the necessary while getting paid...Oh, and good news regarding our chair: the number one has refused to come and now we're impatiently waiting for the answer of the second best. Looks like we might even have a new professor next spring...

September 05, 2007 3:38 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, our house is built in 1923. Typically to that decade, the bathroom is really small and other rooms spacious. Fireplace and those silly ceiling boards are probably from 70's or 80's. If this apartment was our own and not rented, we'd renovate the ceiling at least.

Couple of weeks ago our neighbour almost burned the whole thing down. Luckily he only managed to damage his mattress, which was smoking on the street when we woke up to the sounds of the fire brigade. Smoking while sleeping is sure a nasty habit.

I sure wish I was somewhere far south without computers now...the grass is always greener etc. etc. I guess.

September 05, 2007 6:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home