Kalaperunat

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Africa

Well, I know this blog is supposed to be about my time in London, but since I haven't spent that much time here within last five weeks I am forced to write about my trip to West Africa. Or actually about the feelings I have been having after returning. So try to bear with me. I am sure there is going to be plenty of London stories after I am back on track again ;)

Like most of you already know I spent three weeks in Benin, Togo and Ghana. I had a most amazing time (thanks Riikka and everybody else in Grand-Popo for having me!) visiting interesting places and meeting wonderful people. Just came back yesterday morning and I have been having serious problems trying to adjust to normal life. I have spent last two days just wandering around unable to do anything useful.

I have never felt like this before after travelling. Everything, my time away and also my life here, feels so unreal, like a dream. It is difficult to get a grip on life here or even try to write about the trip. And I don't even know what has caused this feeling. It has nothing to do with the usual post-holiday syndrome when you don't want to return back to your boring everyday life. I am more than happy to be back in London (I love the city and all my friends here) but for some reason it feels really unrealistic to be back in town.

During my stay I questioned several times my and also other foreigners' motives and reasons to be there as well as locals' desire to get to know me and if I think about West Africa it doesn't feel realistic to be there either. So I am stuck somewhere between the two places and somehow I need to get out of there. The sooner, the better...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

About reasons - I think visiting African continent justifies itself just by having the experience - at least from our part it will increase our real understanding about the many existing realities on this globe. Overwhelming, yes, it is. You may never return the same ;) I feel like going again more and more when reading blogs by you, Riikka and Anna-Riitta. So please write more when you are up to it!

January 24, 2007 6:37 pm  
Blogger Riikka said...

One word: Lariam ? :) It is possible. But remember to take all of them - I luckily didn't have malaria, was tested today. Just some normal fever. Tiredness, probably...oh, and I forgot to tell you that the heat (especially humidity!) returned to Benin after you left! I'm sweating constantly. Feels more like normal, it was very strange to have all those freezing nights...

January 25, 2007 6:56 pm  
Blogger Minkki said...

Oh, it's so good to hear you're ok! Still hanging around in Grand-Popo? Do you already know your plans? Yeah, I also thought of Lariam but I'm finally starting feel normal (or as normal as I ever get;) again. But we'll see next Monday when it's a Lariam day again...

Of course the heat came back straight after I left. That's nothing new. Happens every time I'm abroad...Well, actually I don't mind. Apart from the dust that enters everywhere I was quite happy with the temperature. But that's only cos I usually feel hot anyway. It's my inner heat that keeps me warm ;D

January 26, 2007 8:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could also need that inner heat now... :) it's QUITE chilly here in Hellsinki.

It's not Lariam, I can tell! On my first trip I had Doximycin and now Malarone on this second one, and even so everything felt extremely unreal (actually it still feels!) both times after i returned back to Finland...
I have so many things to do but I'm not able to do anything. I just wonder how long this lasts... :|

-Aku-

February 07, 2007 9:36 am  
Blogger Minkki said...

Hei Aku, hauska kuulla susta. Miten Suomessa menee? Siel on ilmeisesti aika kylmä...Tääl tarkenee ihan hyvin. Olokin on muuttunu normaalimmaks :)
Kerro Irenelle terkkui.

February 07, 2007 10:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home